Michigan Engineering seeks to improve the quality of life by developing intellectually curious and socially conscious minds, creating collaborative solutions to societal problems, and promoting an inclusive and innovative community of service for the common good. The Experiential Participation Fund is established by the College of Engineering to encourage students to pursue opportunities outside the classroom in support of this mission.
The College of Engineering is excited to provide support to first-generation or middle income undergraduate students, with financial need, in their pursuit of experiential learning opportunities.
Examples of Activities Eligible for Funding :
- Professional Development Experiences
- Presentation skills
- Management skills
- Leadership training workshops
- Seed funding for non-coursework related projects or ventures
- Conferences, such as ASEE SHPE, SWE, NSBE, & oSTEM
- Student organization related experiences
*Please note that all co-curricular activities have to be held in a virtual format with no need for travel in order to be funded. This is due to University restrictions on travel to reduce spread of COVID. If you have concerns regarding this, please reach out to Mariah Fiumara at email@example.com.
If you need funding for an activity that does not appear on this list, please apply anyway as this is not an exhaustive list.
*Please note that maximum awards are $1,000 per student per year.
Eligible students may apply though the funding application at the bottom of this page. Before applying, please note that the application will require the following elements:
- A brief description of the activity.
- A narrative describing, in 250-500 words, the rationale for the activity and importance to one’s educational or career goals.
- A list of specific expenses covered by the award.
- A list of other funding sources applied for or anticipated
- Description of financial need (including total costs of the opportunity)
Please note that this award is for individual, first generation, undergraduate students with financial need; (as determined by the FAFSA application and the Office of Financial Aid). Awards are limited, will be distributed based on availability, and the amount (full, partial, or none) will be determined by the reviewing committee.
Applications are reviewed on a monthly basis.
*Please note that funds will not be awarded retroactively, make sure to submit your request(s) prior to the deadline preceding your event date. As such, please apply within at least 6 weeks of your activity.
October 6th, 2020
February 9th, 2021
November 10th, 2020
March 9th, 2021
December 8th, 2020
April 6th, 2021
January 5th, 2021
May 4th, 2021
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Mariah Fiumara at firstname.lastname@example.org.